Untucked or Tucked Polo Shirt
To tuck or to untuck a polo shirt? This all depends on a variety of factors. However, the most important aspect of how to wear such garments will often depend on the occasion and setting.
To tuck or to untuck a polo shirt? This all depends on a variety of factors. However, the most important aspect of how to wear such garments will often depend on the occasion and setting. While untucking your polo shirt is perfectly acceptable in most cases, such as out with friends or what have you, there may be other situations that it is inappropriate to leave the shirt untucked. When should a man tuck in a polo shirt?
Work is often one scenario in which a mens polo shirt should be tucked, including casual Friday. Semi formal occasions and sit down dinners are also times that the shirt should be tucked in. When in doubt, it’s always a good idea to tuck the polo shirt in.
Polo Shirts Clothing Tips
- Polo Shirt with Jeans – Wearing jeans is a sign of being casual but not necessarily sloppy. For most scenarios, leaving the shirt untucked is fine. If your jeans are loose, your polo shirt can be loose and untucked. Neater looking jeans require a neater looking top and so in these situations, tuck in your shirt.
- Polo Shirt with Khakis or Slacks – if the shirt tail is short enough where you can put your hands in your back pockets, then leaving it untucked is acceptable. If you are wearing slacks or khakis with a polo in a work environment, tuck in your shirt, because your customers will immediately pick up on this. A tucked shirts adds a level of professionalism. If you are behind a counter, then it does not matter as long as your coworkers and boss are alright with this dress code. Mens rugby shirts that are thin enough can and should be tucked in but the thicker rugby shirts are fine untucked.
- Polo Shirt with Dress Pants – You should tuck in your shirts if you are wearing this combination. The dress pants are for formal affairs and these occasions will usually call for a neater approach. This can be considered business casual because you have buttons. Thinner polo shirts are better for tucking into the pants. There are thick polo shirts such as rugby shirts that should not be tucked. They are simply too much bulk to fit into some pants. If you are interested in a business casual polo shirt that can be untucked, then it must be fitted polo shirts. These fitted polos are conformed to your body’s waist and fits perfectly for work or a casual business affair. Thinner polo shirts are better for tucking into the pants. There are thick polo shirts that should not be tucked. They are simply too much bulk to fit into some pants. A tuck in polo shirt for work can be perfect for the casual Fridays. A form fitted untucked polo shirt can also be friendly for work as long as the shirt tail does not pass the belt line.
- Polo Shirt with Khaki Shorts or Cargo Shorts – In the summertime, it is acceptable for younger men to leave their polo shirt tails untucked while wearing cargo shorts or khaki shorts. If you are wearing shorts, chances are you are in a situation where it is alright to be relaxed and have everything loose. So should mens’ shirts be untucked with shorts? Tucking in polo shirts to shorts is typically not recommended but it is really your choice.
- Not wearing a Belt – You should always be wearing a belt if your pants have a belt slot. However, if you cannot find your belt make sure never to tuck your polo shirt if you are not wearing a belt.
- Long Length Polo Shirt Tails – Always tuck these long shirt tails in because you do not want to look like you are wearing a dress or a penguin. Not only will it look like a dress but the shirt will be oversized for your body type, making you look smaller.
Final Tucked or Untucked Shirt Tips
When in doubt, do whatever everyone else is doing. Go tucked in and if it’s very casual, untucked. Chances are no one will care. There are people who believe a polo shirt should never be tucked in but look at golfers. Golfers will tuck in their polo shirts when they wear it with khakis. This gives off a much neater appearance and professionalism.
Leaving a shirt tucked in is a good way to retain body heat. This is a good tip for those occasions when you are wearing a polo shirt and feel cold.
So to answer the question, do men tuck in their polo shirts?, the answer is yes; but only when the pants and situations asked for it.